The forum for animal lovers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

benny's training

2 posters

Go down

benny's training Empty benny's training

Post  Janet2012 Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:55 pm

My son has been doing much research and reading and watching all the videos. He bought a clicker and has begun training and the change is incredible!

So far Benny has learnt paw and lie down. He will also come when called in the house and garden. Benny actually wants to learn and my son is much more hopeful so thank you for the information it has really helped.

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

benny's training Empty Re: benny's training

Post  Admin Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm

That's fantastic! cheers

Keep us updated on the progress he makes, or if he struggles at all. How great that the change has been so instantaneous! The main thing is to keep it fun and rewarding for the dog, and then as you say he will look forward to his training sessions. Also, remember to keep them short, 2 - 3 minutes as often as your son likes Smile

Whoo, go Benny! bounce

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Yes I will keep you updated I saw Benny ths weekend actually my son came to visit with him and it was very interesting to see. Benny was very excited to see me and of course he jumps up a lot and my son said 'let's do some training' and Benny ran over and out came the clicker. Benny was very focused and he did sit and paw and lie down and earned treats. Then my son showed me leave it that they are working on and it's so very clever Benny was sso focused on it all.

After my son was very proud and I told him how well they were doing and Benny ran over very excited and I think he was proud to make everyone happy these days, they have finally found a way to learn together!

That reminds me I must ask my son if he could put a photo up.

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:46 pm

That is such good news! Isn't it amazing how quickly Benny is learning?! He's learnt what, three commands in the space of about a week?? What a clever dog he must be! Smile

I'm glad it's helping your son's relationship with Benny. I remember when we first had Kasp and I didn't know how to teach him it was incredibly frustrating when he would ignore my commands because I hadn't given him the incentive to want to obey! Training is great fun too, I bet your son and Benny are really enjoying themselves! Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Yes that is what my son was like he used to shout at Benny quite a lot because benny just wouldn't listen well sometimes he would but mostly he wouldn't! ANd my son always said he isn't a stupid dog he just does not want to learn! And now they know how they make a lovely partnership. I said to my son now all he need s to do is stop Benny chasing our cat!!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Ha, the cat chasing may take a while to sort out Wink I'm still counter conditioning Kasper to Lenny, our rabbit, and teaching him to be calm around him. I know it might take months and months but it will be worth it in the end Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 pm

I would say we are not expecting miracles but the change in Benny itself is a miracle! My son didn't get him so long ago but all the time he has struggled although he does love benny and would never get rid of him. It's just been difficult as Benny is such a lively dog that needs so much attention. I used to have Benny whilst my son was at work in the beginning but what with Vera and how difficult Benny was it was just impossible!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh goodness we have had a hard time of it this weekend! Myself and my husband Jerry agreed to look after Benny as we often do as my son was going waway for the weekend with his sweetheart. Whilst they were down south enjoying themselves we were having trobule after trouble with benny! I knoiw he can behave and I don't know if it was because my son was not there or what but it was a nightmare. He pulls very hard on his lead and we have been having rain here and he pulled both me and Jerry over on different walks trying to get after another dog or a cat one time. Then our next door neighbour and close friend had her granddaughter around as the girl had just truned five and she kept asking to see benny and I kept saying no but then was talked into letting her come over. Benny was crazy with excitement and grabbed at the little girl's birthday present and there were tears and chasing and all sorts to get him to let go! Thank fully we couldn't see it was damaged bit the whole experience was a nightmare. Add to this poor Vera hated to be locked in the bedroom and it was a terrible time I will write about her problems elsewhere but we were glad to see the back of poor benn and my son was very upset with it all!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Sorry to hear that after things had been going so well, Janet Sad If it's any consolation Kasper is being an absolutely nightmare at the moment too! I'm wondering if it's because the weather's got cooler?

However some dogs do act up a lot when they are left to be looked after by people that aren't their owner...they may try and get away with more and ignore commands, so it could have been something as simple as that. Is Benny still not able to be let off-lead? I'd imagine next time you babysat him, giving him a good run around in the garden (does he play fetch or run away if chased?) and having something to shred (eg. a hide, antler, toy etc) might help get some energy out of him. Having very tasty treats on hand will always be helpful too, and bring out the best in him Wink

Perhaps go to your son's house and see what Benny likes best. Smelly treats work well; cooked chicken, hotdog sausage, smelly cheese like stilton...you could ask if you could try do some training with Benny too, so you can see what works with him and he can learn that you are a good person but that you must be listened to, too.

I hope you weren't hurt being pulled over. Kasper's quite a strong puller but they only time he's managed to get me over was on snow / ice, so I had the snow to cushion my fall! Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:16 pm

No I was not hurt in the fall it was a in a field so quite a soft landing thankfully!! I haven't seen Benny really since not because i hold any grudges but with one thing and another but yes I will certainly plan to go around and try some training with him. I have spoken to my son and he has taught Benny a go to his bed or mat command which is proving very useful as I'm sure you can imagine!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 am

We wenr for a walk with Benny today and it was lovely he was om a long line so that he can run around but so that he can't run off as he won't come back yet. My son was having a hard time keeping up with Benny and not letting it get tangled around trees or park benches!!!! We all hada a lovely time though and benny seemed quite exhausted afterwards and it was lovely to see him having fun.

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:21 pm

We are going over to my sons this week we are fgoing to have tea there and I am planning on building a relationship with Benny more around training and to learn some tips from my son. What would work best as a reward and do you have any advice red?

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Great news Smile Best treats to use: try anything smelly! Dogs don't really taste their food - they smell it! So things like cooked chicken, hot dog sausage, stilton cheese (or cheese in general) etc. You only need to use very small amounts as reward, pea-sized. Vary the amount you give, eventually hard tricks will earn multiple rewards, and very easy tricks will earn less exciting rewards such as kibble Smile

As well as food rewards, if Benny is a playful dog, you can use toys too. Throwing a ball, tug of war etc, although you might want to wait until 'drop it' is fully learned by then Smile

Keep training sessions short, and very fun! You want to start in a low distraction environment, with nobody else around. Don't tell him off, not even a "no", you want it all to be positive and exciting Smile It's probably best if you try the tricks Benny already knows really well (I guess you're doing that anyway Razz ) so that you don't have to worry about timing the clicker or working out another method of teaching Benny a command if he doesn't understand the first...I'm sure you'll do great and Benny will have an awesome time Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Yes red I took strong chedder and cooked chicken. It was really good we played in the garden and threw toys for benny to chase then after a while I showed him the treat when he brought it abck so he woiuld drop it. Then I threw it again and we progressed to me saying drop it before he had chance to drop it. He did really well and it as so different from whern we were looking after him! He seemed quiter calm well for Benny anyway!!!

My son and Benny were around fr their Sunday lunch today it was a bit of a catastrophy but you have to laugh at these things!!! We had the table set out and vegetables and potato on the lplates and everyone was being called in. My husband was carrying the meat and I had the gravy and everybody was filing in and Benny was on the table eating everything off one of the plates!!! He was banished from the room of course but nicely!! And we were able to share out the rest of the food as I do tend to cook a lot!!!!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:39 am

We are having Benny this weekend, wish us luck haha!! Hopefully it won't be a repeat of lastt time we have Benny today as preparation my son will pick him up after work. Poor oldvera has been delegated to the bedroom but benny has been great so far. We went for a walk in the park and I took rewards in my pocket and he is getting very good at coming when called. He didn't pull me over either!!! When we got back I fed him from a frozen Kong toy my son had prepared...sounds like blue peter!...and he has slept since then despite me cooking eating and cleaning!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Oh wow that is a big step!!! Smile I'm sure it will be fine though Wink

I'll bet you have lots of humorous stories to share with us after this weekend hahaha, remember to have fun with him too!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 am

Hey Janet hope the weekend with Benny is going well! Your absence has been noted so I assume he is keeping you nice and busy, hahaha! Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Red do you know yes he kept us very busy but he really wasn't much trouble at all. At worst he chewed a leather glove and spilled water all over the kitchen floor but he didn't do bad at all. The walks were all okay and he met otther dogs fine. He ate his food well and we kept him busy with chews and his Kong toy. My son was most impressed and said we do a better job than he does!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Hey I'm really really impressed too - seriously, well done! Sounds like you did everything spot on, what with physical and mental exercise...and chewing a glove's nothing...Kasper once chewed his way halfway through a door!! Laughing

Will you be asked to babysit Benny a lot more now that its gone well then? Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 am

Well yesterday we were all forced...I shouldn't say that as it was lovely really ha ha...on an walk by my son who was very excited. He drove us over to his house and we all went for a walk in the park and red wait until I tell you......... benny was walked off of his lead!!! My son has done a few walks now but kept it from me they were just practising last I heard, you should have seen us all cheer we must have looked such fools!! Red from myself, my son and Benny we would like to thank you for all your help and support you have helped Benny so much!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Oh wow Janet that's amazing!! Very Happy

Congratulations to your son and Benny, and I'm very impressed your son stuck with it and his hard work paid off. Way to go Benny! Smile

And don't thank me haha I didn't do anything!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Hey Janet how was your holiday? Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Well what with one thing and another!!!! It was nice all in all but we had my son and Benny well his lead snapped of course when they came visiting!! Picture Benny streaking around hysterical off the lead and my son running after him arms flapping anyway he came back eventually and my friend was thrilled to see them both. Then on the last day as we were taking a walk down a country lane she tripped and fell and the visit ended in hospita!! Thankfully she is okay but then we came back home and our internet was broken, just our luck!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Janet I don't know how you manage it, but you always seem to have the worse luck! It means you come back with such stories though Very Happy

Hope you have recovered from your holiday now - you're going to need another after that!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down