The forum for animal lovers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beagle sitting!

2 posters

Go down

Beagle sitting! Empty Beagle sitting!

Post  Admin Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm

I can't believe I haven't mentioned this yet!

Just over a week ago Edge and I got in touch with a couple who had an 8 month old beagle. They worked shifts and were wanting someone to walk their dog during the day. We said we would love to do it, and were invited around to their house.

Betsy, their beagle, is adorable! She took to us right away and, although boisterous and cheeky (and very funny!), she just needs some manners training. We will be walking her every week day, which I can't wait for! And I am also welcome to do as much training with her as I like - WHICH I CAN'T WAIT FOR!!! Razz Very Happy

We visited again today and were shown some good walks where they live. I practised some recall whilst Betsy was off-lead, with food rewards obviously, and Betsy responded very well. So well in fact that I think we will be letting her off-lead tomorrow, our first walk with her!

Some of Betsy's 'issues' (not really issues, but for want of another word...) are: jumping up on people, going on the couch uninvited, pulling on lead, and a very slight fear or uneasiness due to a few slightly overbearing training methods used - which will be incredibly easy to repair and educate from Smile

Whilst Edge was sorting out the practicalities (pay, keys, times etc.) I spent some time training with Betsy. She is *obsessed* with food, which makes it easy to get her to offer new behaviours, but she can be obsessed with it, so I had to hide it behind my back!! Anyway, after a few minutes Betsy had mastered the 'touch' command, which her owners were amazed at, haha! Smile

I'll have her leg weaving and showing off in no time - so here's the progress log! Wink

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Beagle sitting! Empty Re: Beagle sitting!

Post  Admin Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm

We have our second walk with Betsy tomorrow - our first one went great! Smile

She had good recall (for an 8 month old beagle haha!!), spent 20 minutes straight playing with a year old terrier, which tired them both out! We did a little training when we got back, and Betsy went straight into her crate for a Kong! Aw, she was VERY glad to see us...lots of whining, frantic scrabbling, piddling and leaping tongue licks when we arrived! Laughing

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 am

Red that sounds like an exiting venture annd just right for you two!!!!! Betsy is a sweet name wow you have three puppies in your lives now let us know how you get on bet you are all reeal busy!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum