The forum for animal lovers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updates and How-To's - a useful place for new members to start

Go down

Updates and How-To's - a useful place for new members to start Empty Updates and How-To's - a useful place for new members to start

Post  Admin Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 am

Well, this is the official - kinda - opening of the forum I guess Smile

I created it today, and have done about half the ground work so far. The chicken, dog, rodent and budgie sections were always gonna take most time from me I guess, typing out the stickies I wanted, so I'm glad I've got that done. We're planning the idea for the website that will link to the forum, and hope to get that up and running within the next week or two...I dunno, it depends how quickly me and Edge can develop a semi-decent webpage! Laughing

However hopefully, a couple weeks down the line, this forum will be activated properly, joined to a proper website, and we can start trying to welcome members and getting some discussions going!

Of course if none of this happens...it doesn't really mattered because I've enjoyed doing this anyway Laughing

Red

Last edited by Admin on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Updates and How-To's - a useful place for new members to start Empty Forum How-To's

Post  Admin Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Forum How-To's:

How do I register to the forum?

It's real easy - and free! Click on the "register" button on the top menu bar. Choose a username and password [s]and a link will be sent to your email address. Click the link and tada! Your account has been activated and you should be able to login Smile

Please note some email services will send automatic emails (such as the one you need to activate your account on the forum) into the trash / junk / spam folder. If you haven't received an email from the forum, check the email hasn't been sent to join the spam! If this still doesn't work, you can either PM me and I will set you up an account or try and help in any way I can, or you can join Gmail and use an gmail account which will work (see below) [/s]

Edit: for the time being we have changed the way to register to the forum. You no longer need to click an activation code; in fact there is no activation code! You just need to choose a valid username, a password, and supply an email address. Once you've done that and filled in the annoying security code (the one that is a jumble of letters / numbers, eg. Xy5sa ) you should be free to log onto the forum immediately Smile

How can I create an email address so I can join the forum?

That is easy too! Simply go to gmail.com Once there click on the "create an account" button in the top right corner (it's free!) . Follow the instructions (the usual, choose a username, password etc) and take it from there.

How do I send someone a message that nobody else can see?

To send a PM (Private Message) which is a message that only the member will be able to see (it's possible that Admin's can check PM's if we receive a complaint, but I'm not sure as it hasn't happened yet!), simply click on the picture of an envelope on the menu at the top (it will probably say 'you have no new messages'), select "new PM", then either type in the username or look it up. Once you have found the person you want to PM, write your message and click "send"...easy as that!

How do I change my font colour?

On the menu just above the box you type messages in, there are lots of little icons...B for bold, I for italic etc. Second from the end there's one that holds lots of little squares of different colours. Click that and code like this will show up depending on whatever colour you choose: [color = orange] [ / color]. All you need to do is type between the two brackets like this [color = orange] Hi this would be orange! [/ color] and your message should be a different colour!

Incidentally this works the same for italics, bold, etc. Just write between the two brackets (eg. [ i ] [/ i ] ) and you will get italics, bold etc) . If you're still having problems, check the "disable BBCode" box is not checked, just under the 'send' button.

How do I post photos?

Upload your photos to a site such as Photobucket. You want to copy the IMG code and paste it directly into your post. It helps if photos aren't massively sized (don't worry if you can't resize them though!), around 650 width or smaller will be fine Smile

How do I post a reply or start a new topic?

To post a reply click on a thread. Once you've done that, right at the top there is a "post a reply" button. Just click that. To start a new topic go onto a subforum (such as "let's talk chickens", "The place for off topic topics" etc) and at the top there will be a "new topic" button.

Red

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum