The forum for animal lovers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Edge's Book Club!

3 posters

Go down

Welcome to Edge's Book Club! Empty Welcome to Edge's Book Club!

Post  Edge Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 pm

I've just gotten back into reading recently after not reading for pleasure for around about 5 years, so what better way to mark this new hobby than with a new topic. Any thoughts on books you are reading or recommendations is welcomed here so pull up a chair and grab your reading glasses!

Without further ado I present to you the highs and the lows of the recent reads.

The Good:

Starter for 10 & The Understudy by David Nicholls: He's probably my favourite author at the moment, his books are witty and easy to read with a touch of realistic ineptness to his lead characters.

The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas: A interesting tale of history, real life and fantasy about a post grad student that discovers one of the world's rarest books. Might be a bit sciency for some but worth a try if that doesn't put you off

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly: I usually hate fantasy settings (too many cliched goblins and wizards for my taste) so me recommending a fantasy book this highly should tell you something about the quality. An adult fairy tale with a sinister antagonist and a gripping narrative. Perhaps my highest recommendation.

Past Mortem & Inconsievable by Ben Elton: Basically what I said about the David Nicholls books but not quite as good. Still great though.

The Bad

The Dead Zone by Stephen King: Nothing happens, just a bit dull

Anything by G W Dalquist: Awful sense of pacing and the way the book was written was painful and difficult to read. My personal worst ever book.

Phew that took me a while! What are you reading at the moment? Read any of these? Disagree with my opinions? Then post here and lets talk books!

Edge

Edge

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Edge's Book Club! Empty Re: Welcome to Edge's Book Club!

Post  Admin Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:24 pm

YOU started a book club?! Before you met me the closest you got to reading was game cases...I'm impressed! Laughing

I like David Nicholls books too - One Day is an amazing amazing read, up there for my favourite-ist ever book ever Smile Starter for 10 is good (although the terrible film might have destroyed that for me! Laughing ) and The Understudy was enjoyable too, but One Day is simply amazing.

Ben Elton, some of his books stand out as being very good (Blind Faith is one of my favourites of his, but I liked Inconceivable too) whereas others are simply readable / enjoyable. I haven't read one I haven't enjoyed yet though.

I'm reading The Time Travellers' Wife at the moment, which I was a bit uncertain about reading and put it off for a while as the person who gave it to me didn't reckon much of it. I LOVE it so far, I'm over halfway through and though the storyline is a little odd I'm really enjoying it! Smile

The Book Of Lost Things is a favourite of mine too, a friend who only reads books once gave it to me after she enjoyed it, and when I fell in love said I could keep it Razz It's a very different story, and I definitely recommend! When I first started reading it I thought it was a kids' fairytale, but it's really not, there are some pretty chilling and gruesome events that take place!

I've read a lot of Stephen King books, but they either seem to be really good, or really unremarkable. That's my take on them anyway. Even the good books have large passages that are dull, boring and that I often end up skipping! I loved Under the Dome, despite it being HUGE and taking me weeks to read, I loved The Green Mile and have been reading it a few times a year since I was very young, and I enjoyed Dolores Claiborn (spelling?), Pet Cemetery and Misery.

And my all-time favourite book is a biography called Stuart: a life backwards. It's the true story of a man's life from adult to child. He's violent, often homeless and psychotic but it's a very touching story. The only thing that ruins it for me are the illustrations added to the book by the author Laughing

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Hello edge I thought I might join your book club too although I am not sure if we will read the same books! I have read a few Stephen King books though I have read Dolores Claiborne also and It which I thoutght was rather good. I have just read a book called The Weight of Silence that I have really enjoyed I think it was written by Heather something it's a very sad story with a happy ending. I have not read any Ben Elton books. I have seen One Day but thought it might not be very good but maybe I will give it a try now!

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 pm

I am re-reading the Harry Potter books currently Laughing

And also Edge is making me read The Dice Man, which I'm REALLY not enjoying! Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Keshi would like to join the book club, he is reading Harry Potter too Laughing

Welcome to Edge's Book Club! Day4

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Edge's Book Club! Empty Books!

Post  Edge Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm reading Harry Potter too Very Happy

And the dice man is awesome!

Edge

Edge

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:18 pm

I hated the Dice Man so much...yes, I have given up on it! I think I got about a third of the way through...definitely not for me!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Edge Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:55 pm

Not read for a little while, but read Stephen King's Under the Dome and a book called firecracker recently which were both really good!

Starting another Stephen King soon, Bag of Bones...here's hoping it's a good one

Edge

Edge

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:46 pm

Haha its really not! Laughing

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:53 pm

I've read a lot of books recently...

Goodbye Maple St - I bought this for 70p from the kindle store, and it was really really good! In fact I liked it so much I reviewed it Smile It was quite gritty and depressing even, but brilliant.

Peckham Cry - I got this for 70p from the kindle store too, as it was recommended if I liked the first book (different authors though). It was okay...readable but not great, with a pretty poor ending...

Casual Vacancy - J.K Rowling's new book, which Lyle got me for Christmas. I wanted it to be rubbish haha, but its actually really really good...possibly my favourite book ever!!

Panoptican - currently readin this. Goes from being very good to abysmal...and the main character Is Scottish, and the authior has spelt some of the words phonetically (which I always hate!) and uses Scottish slang words that I have no idea what they are!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum