The forum for animal lovers!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D

4 posters

Go down

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Empty AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D

Post  Admin Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm

So less than a week ago I saw tiny itty bitty hoggies in the rep shop nearest to us. I was smitten, I have really wanted a hoggy since I was about 18. Hoggies are gorgeous little stubby but chubby snakes that have these adorable upturned nose...so right away I was begging Edge to let me get one Laughing

He said no, of course, and after a day or so I gave up, admittedly with my heart broken Laughing Well today I wake up and Edge is acting all weird and I'm like 'what?' And then I see it!!! A little RUB in the corner! I don't think it's a hoggy, I just think Kesh broke out again hahaha! But I go look and it's wood chips, snake bedding in there...and then I see this beauty! Razz

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Hoggy12

And oh oh oh she is so lovely! Edge says it's a month-and-two-days early birthday present...ah, I LOVE him!!

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Hoggy7

We got her out twice today (oops, naughty. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be left to settle!!) and she hissed a few times but was such a darling Smile

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Hoggy8

For people who don't know, hoggies have four main defense mechanisms: hiss, puff up like an adder, butt the offender with their nose (haha!) or roll over and play dead hahaha! It's pretty rare to get bitten by a hoggy - although I'm sure I'll manage it! Laughing

But look how dinky she is!!

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Hoggy10

Totally totally smitten...I'm asking other owners how long I should leave her to settle because I just want to handle her continuously Razz

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Hoggy11

And first feed of a pinky on Wednesday so let's hope it goes well Smile

Admin
Admin

https://budgie.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Empty Re: AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D

Post  Janet2012 Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 pm

That is a very unusual looking snake Red very striking I have never seen anything like it !! Although I havent seen many snakes maybe a few at a zoo but never one that small isn't she tiny. I love her name very pretty and isn't it wonderful of Edge to buy that for a surprise if it is something you have wanted so much.

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Oh seriously, nobody can imagine how happy I am! Smile Every time I get her out I'm in awe, honestly. Today I got her out (first time she didn't hiss! Smile ) and she was curled all around herself, and she was only an inch across! She is really really small! Yesterday we got her out and oh she was SO funny!! She puffed her neck out so it expanded like a puff adder, rose up and hissed...it was hilarious watching this little tiny snake try and look threatening! Laughing

We're feeding her tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous, although I shouldn't panic if she doesn't accept it. I just want everything to go right for her because I love and care about her so much!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Defrosting a pinkie for her now! Very Happy We found a little runt in the bag about half the size of a normal pinkie, so perfect for Sage...here's hoping she eats it! (have to keep reminding myself it's okay if she doesn't! Smile )

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Well the pinky is in with Sage...I'm a little worried I put it in a place where she won't find it, but I'm properly over-worrying which I tend to do with all my pets Neutral I put it in the wooden tube that's in with her though, so I hope she finds it...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Sage still hasn't eaten Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'm not too worried though, as me and my dad were talking about how difficult it was to feed James when we first got him, and look how he's turned out, biggest Cornsnake I've known Laughing So hopefully Sage will feed soon and start growing big and strong...and I can stop worrying Laughing

Haven't handled her yesterday and today to see if that will help her feed and am missing our hissy cuddles something rotten Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:11 pm

How often do you feed a snake and what do they eat? It doesn't sound nlike it is worrying if they don't eat then?

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Erm well we'll be feeding Sage every five days whilst she is smaller. As she grows we'll move to weekly feeding and probably stick with that. And no, it's not an emergency is snakes refuse to eat a few times. Some types of snakes are tricky feeders, such as Ball / Royal Pythons, and they can go off feeding for months and months at a time.

Snakes tend to eat mice, rats or occasionally rabbits. Sage will eat adult mice when fully grown, but is on pinkies, the baby mice, at the moment.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:40 pm

It is strange to learn about snakes not needing to eat for months when the majority of animals need to eat several times aday. Also how do you manage to feed her mice when you keep them yourselves and rats I am not sure I could manage that! I am glad to hear she has eaten though it must mean she is settling in well.

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:25 pm

I don't know if I've already mentioned this, but they're pre-killed frozen mice, I would never feed live. Am very much against that Smile

Well, I've been asked that a lot of times, and to me it's the exact same as feeding my other pets meat...or feeding non-vegetarian / vegan guests meat! I won't choose to eat it myself, but will gladly feed Kasper kibble containing meat, as it's what's best for him. Snakes eat mice, so that's what I'll feed them!

Funnily enough I'm going off being a vegetarian and thinking of reverting back to veganism. I was a vegan for 6 years, but turned veggie about 8 months ago and have never got used to it Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

AHAHAHA LOOK WHAT I GOT!!! :D Empty Cuuutie!

Post  Edge Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Isn't she lovely! Fed well yesterday for her second time!!! We are all so proud Razz

Handling tonight...hopefully I won't move too much and scare her (I'm really bad at keeping still!)

Edge

Edge

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:20 pm

You didn't do too bad, not squirming like you had ants in yer pants anyway Laughing You just alarmed her once hehe.

Yes, second time we fed her she ate the mouse within minutes of us putting it in!!! Which is fantastic, and hopefully means we don't have to worry about her not feeding again Smile She did okay at being handled tonight too, lots of head swelling and puffing up but soon settled and did some fun exploring!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet2012 Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:49 am

I suppose I ahad not thought of it that way Red but yes you are quite right isn't it funny how clearer you see it because you don't eat meat but I would never connect me eating a sunday lunch to a snake eating a mouse!!!!! It is very good that you do whatever is best for the animal despite your own beliefs.

Janet2012

Back to top Go down

Post  kevrox Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Way cool I love snakes but never held one!!! How big will she get??? I want to get a python but my mum and dad won't let me Mad

kevrox

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:51 pm

She's only a small breed so will reach about 2 - 4 foot. My corn snake that lives with my parents is about 6 feet though so slightly more impressive! Laughing Hognoses are quite a chubby breed so she'll be quite thick when fully grown...but stubby too!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum